Thursday, May 26, 2011

RC-3 + Drive Update!

I just realized that I never added my last book to the RC-3 list. 38 Witnesses by A.M. Rosenthal - a quick read that discusses The New York Times' discovery of the murder of Kitty Genovese, and A.M. Rosenthal's personal feelings of the case. For those of you who don't know, Kitty Genovese was murdered in the early 60s in Queens, NY outside two apartment buildings. It was discovered after she died that 38 people in the surrounding apartment buildings had witnessed the murder happening from their windows, but none had called the police. 1 person did end up calling the police, but much too late. This murder is discussed in a lot of sociology, psychology, and Malcolm Gladwell-like books when discussing the bystander effect. Very interesting case, and a decent read.
  1. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
  2. The Girls by Lori Lansens
  3. Live from New York by Tom Shales & James Andrew Miller
  4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  5. The Divinity Gene by Matthew J. Trafford
  6. 38 Witnesses: The Kitty Genovese Case by A.M. Rosenthal
I'm currently reading Saturday by Ian McEwan, which I absolutely love so far. It's a post-9/11 novel, set in England, taking place on one Saturday. I'm about half-way through and I haven't even gotten to the afternoon yet. It's a really well thought-out novel. I thought McEwan was Canadian, but turns out he's British. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. It's a great book, and I'm moving along decently with rc-3. Once I finish Saturday, I'll have 7 months to read 13 more books. Gotta pick up the pace.

Next on the agenda... my driving challenge!!

Remember my goals?
  1. Get my G1 by December 31, 2010.
  2. a) Register for driving lessons by February 28, 2011.
    b) Book my road test by May 31, 2011.
    c) Get my G2 by August 31, 2011.
  3. Get a car by December 31, 2011.
Well, I think I already told you that Goal 2 c) may be coming early because my road test is less than a week away on June 1st. It's so surreal that this has happened so quickly, but I'm feeling really positive about it. Yesterday I had my practice road test which I booked to ensure that my chances of passing were as high as is humanly possible. I drove to Peterborough where my instructor took me through the most commonly done test route... we did it nearly 10 times, I think! Over and over again, practicing the maneuvers, practicing my turns, practicing lane changes... At the end of the lesson he said that he thinks I'm going to pass! Hearing that really made me feel confident. I think I'm gonna pass, too.

Also - I definitely won't be waiting until December 31st to buy a car. In fact, I don't want to wait much longer at all. Assuming I get my G2 next Wednesday, I'm buying a car ASAP - by the end of June, for sure! Things are looking up!!! Rest assured, I'll keep you posted! :)d

No comments:

Who's visiting?