Wednesday, May 9, 2012

rc-4: Commercial Fiction

Time for a quick & dirty Reading Challenge IV update.


rc-4 so far...
  1. What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell
  2. When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
  3. Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
  4. Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
  5. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Quite the mix so far, I would say.  Non-fiction, memoir-ish in the form of short stories, full-blown memoir, psychological thriller, and... commercial fiction, for lack of a better genre.

Speaking of The Hunger Games, I'd like to make a few brief comments about it.  I'm about 20 pages away from finishing the second book, Catching Fire, and plan on starting Mockingjay right after.  What do I think of it?  I love it.  Completely engaging and a real page-turner... almost to the point of being a bit manipulative.  As my friend said to me, it feels like a book meant to be made into a movie, which would be a bit off-putting if it wasn't so engaging.  I can only compare it to The Da Vinci Code in that regard.  I'm loving it though.  Will it be one to re-read?  Maybe, maybe not, but this is one series I'm willing to read to find out what all the buzz is about... unlike Twilight which I've never read, seen, and will never read or see.

Another update to come soon!

No comments:

Who's visiting?