Saturday, October 20, 2012

Coffee Ritual

For some reason that I can't explain, my blog is only working in HTML mode this morning, not rich text. Oh well! I'll edit in my wild italics later. I had a lazy, drawn-out wake-up this morning, which I love having the opportunity to enjoy. Waking up, falling back asleep, checking my phone, rolling around, falling asleep again, and then finally around 9:30 I dragged myself out of bed and put on some coffee. That's when something horrifying happened! I looked into the fridge and saw NO MILK!!! Thankfully I live within short walking distance of a number of convenience stores, so I put on a jacket and went outside. What was horrifying then became lovely! Buying milk was an excuse to enjoy the crisp, sunny, coolness that is the perfect fall Saturday morning; that's what today is like. It felt incredibly fresh and rejuvenating to head outside and feel that sort of weather. Needless to say, not having milk was a blessing in disguise! I got my milk and then left the convenience store. That's when I noticed some newspaper boxes for those subway magazines Metro and 24-Hour or whatever they're called. I grabbed one of each and then had this funny, happy memory pop into my mind. I think I started drinking coffee around grade 12, when I was 17/18. In grade 12 I went to an alternative high school in Toronto; I won't go into great detail explaining what made it alternative, but let's just say it was different than your average high school. On my way to school every day that year I would grab a coffee at Tim Horton's, snag a Metro magazine, and head to school. Before I got to work on my schoolwork, I would lazily drink my coffee and do the Metro crossword (the teachers didn't care... that was part of the fun of being at an alternative school). This struck me as funny this morning, because I guess I didn't realize that my coffee & reading/crossword-doing ritual has now been going on for 7+ years... what a trip! It hasn't lost its pleasure either. That quiet part of the morning when it's just me awake in the apartment, and I have 20 or so minutes to eat breakfast, gently sip coffee, and engage in something that brings me great pleasure... It's a wonderful thing!

No comments:

Who's visiting?