Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Energy gain/drain: a few words on introversion

I'm not sure if I've written much about introversion on this blog, which is surprising because it's a topic I think about quite a bit.  I won't write at length right now, but I will share a neat item my friend shared with me: Dr. Carmella's Guide to Understanding the Introverted.


I generally agree with the way she's mapped things out here.  I don't necessarily think of myself as living in a hamster ball, but I get the principle of it.
 
However, there's a concept that I never really thought of here -- extroverts sapping the energy of introverts.  Or really anyone sapping the energy of introverts.  Actually, it's not even that, it's the idea of introverts giving their energy to others.
 
I've often thought about the fact that as an introvert I gain energy from downtime and that social situations drain energy from me.  But I never thought about the fact that I give energy to people.  It makes sense though!
 
And then I can't help but think about how much the giving/draining of energy varies from person to person.  My girlfriend K, for example.  We live together and I rarely think of her as someone who drains my energy.  I certainly give my energy to her, and am happy to, but there's a number of factors that keep me from feeling drained.  (1) We live together and I gain so much of my energy from being in my home surroundings, so there's a comfort there.  (2) Now that we live together and spend so much time together, I've begun to think of our time together as "alone time", despite not being fully alone.  Alone time gives me energy for sure, so I'm able to still gain energy while with K.  (3) She gives me so much energy back, so there's an exchange that keeps me from feeling drained.
 
K is definitely a special person when it comes to the energy gain/drain, but I feel that way about my other closest friends, too.  They give me so much back so I never feel as drained after spending time with them (especially if it's at my place) as I would, say at a random acquaintance's house party.  All those new people and the unfamiliar turf; it makes for an energy drain.  It doesn't mean I can't do it, nor does it mean I can't perform well, but it's definitely a drain.
 
Anyway, gotta love some morning food for thought...

No comments:

Who's visiting?