Sunday, May 16, 2010

Reading Challenge

A lot of people harp on "our generation" in terms of our "addiction to technology". First of all, we're not the only ones. Business-people and their Blackberries are often worse than anybody my age, but I digress... One thing that people comment on a lot is how our generation reads books less. It's certainly true that we have so many more options for leisure time, and it's not that I disagree, but I don't really want that to be the case... at least not for me. I used to read constantly - it was my #1 way to calm down and chill out. I want to get that back in my life, so what better time than now?

So, I shall instate a Reading Challenge for myself. Much like the Great Flossing Challenge has brought me to floss nearly once every 2 days, I hope to see the Reading Challenge encourage more book time and less computer time. I want a book to be the last thing I see before bed, not a computer screen.

So here's the goal: 8 books by the end of the summer (August 31st). I've already read 1, and I'm on my 2nd, so 6.5 more to go. I'll let you know how I'm doing at certain points during the summer, as well as how I enjoyed the books, and what I'm currently reading.

The first one I finished was The Outsider by Albert Camus, and now I'm reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. I'll give a "review" of The Outsider later. For now - some computer time. I'll get better, I swear.

No comments:

Who's visiting?