Friday, December 10, 2010

My Shameful Secret

I have an issue with time. I'm very rarely late, so that's not the issue. The issue is that I always over-estimate how long things will take me. Sometimes this results in being extremely early for things. Sometimes it means I have tonnes of time to kill in my own home. My friend is going to be here in the next 1.5-2 hours. I had a whole bunch of stuff to do so I hurried home to get it done. Now I've basically finished the main things I need to do. Therefore, I will blog.

I was thinking about something on the way home from the grocery store, and I need to get it off my chest.

I can't drive.

It's not that I'm a bad driver, or that I don't have a car (I don't, but I could), it's that I don't have my license. I did have a G1 once, but it expired. Why didn't I get my G2? Well, I tried. I tried 3 times in fact, but I failed all 3 times. Sad, I know. I tried 3 times when I was 17 and then I just decided it wasn't worth the heartache and anxiety. Plus, I grew up in Toronto, where having a car is pointless a lot of the time. I lived near the subway, I could get anywhere I needed to go by TTC, and so I forgot about driving.

Then I went to university, where I didn't need a car either. First I lived on campus, then for the next 4 years after that I lived near campus; just a walk or bus ride away. I didn't need a car in university, and I didn't need to drive.

Now I've graduated and moved to a small town for a great job. Guess what? I need a car. Well, I don't need one obviously because I don't have one and I've been managing, but it'd be nice. I'm pretty isolated without one as I don't really go anywhere further than a 20-30 minute walk. In a small town especially, that can get pretty boring. During the summer it was okay, but now it's getting nasty outside and so my shameful secret is becoming all the more hard to bear.

I've decided to confess this so that you, my readers, can hold me accountable for my driving-related goals.
  1. Get my G1 by December 31, 2010 (3 weeks to go!).
  2. Get my G2 by August 31, 2011.
  3. Get a car by December 31, 2011.
I think about how much I wish I could drive pretty much every day. It's time to take action.

To leave this on a positive note, there is something pretty great about depending on your own two feet to take you everywhere!

No comments:

Who's visiting?