Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What Sugar and Gravy Saw...

Greetings from Mexico City!  I'm here on business for barely 48 hours, but I'm loving what I've seen, including the inside of my beautiful hotel room.

I just finished reading my first book of 2012.  Not my speediest start, it's true, but it was a whopping 400 pages of some dense yet delightful Malcolm Gladwell: What The Dog Saw.  That's his fourth book and now I've read them all, and I loved every single one of them. 

What I love about Malcolm Gladwell is that he sparks two totally different notions in me: (1) That people are truly human.  That may sound stupid, but what I mean is that we're not just a skeleton and flesh.  We're individuals, we have personalities, we have strengths and weaknesses, quirks and edges... We're all different and in our own ways, wonderful. 

(2) That there is a science to us.  We are all those things I just mentioned, and there is a scientific reason why.  Whether physical or social science, there's a method to our madness so to speak.  When we make "snap judgments", as Gladwell discusses in Blink (and a story or two in WTDS, for that matter), there are in fact neurons firing, or whatever the case may be.  We may sift through our brain by using words that turn into thoughts that turn into ideas, but something is actually happening in our heads; something totally unbeknownst to us. 

If you've never read Gladwell, DO!  His books are so..... COOL!!! 


Next on the reading list -- When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris, as well as the February and March Issues of Toronto Life 

Posts to come -- my thoughts on the series "Sex and the City" in its entirety, my experience in Mexico City, and what manicures and high heels make me feel.

No comments:

Who's visiting?