Monday, January 30, 2012

R.I.P. Laptop


Last summer, while enjoying an episode of “Sex and the City”, my computer shut down. I tried to turn her on but she was not in the mood. In fact, she was not interested in working at all.

Shortly after this I took her to Future Shop where they told me her AC adapter cable needed to be solderized or something. I decided not to deal with that right then and there and instead leave my girl alone for a while.

Months passed and I just left my computer alone. Every once in a while I would think, “man I’d really like to download something”… “I miss my music”… “I want to read that essay I wrote in second year”… but nothing could be done. I missed her, but I wasn’t ready to take action. I’d bring home my work laptop on occasion, but it doesn’t have much RAM, and the rest of the time I’d just use my iPhone.  It was good to take a bit of a computer break.

Then my friend W. came to visit for a weekend and took a look at it. He couldn't turn her on either, so he assumed it was still the AC adapter cable. I decided it was time to take her in to get solderized.
I went to Future Shop this past weekend to take care of business. The employee there told me it wasn't the cable any more. My baby was gone. Her hard drive, on the other hand, was still salvageable, so the nice gentleman removed it and gave it to me in a bag. He asked me if I'd like to recycle my laptop and I said yes.

R.I.P., Fujitsu Lifebook.  Recycle In Pieces.

We had a lot of good times together. You were patient with me as I watched the same movies ("Jesus Camp") over and over again, and you stayed in working order for my entire academic career to date. I loved you. Enough now.

No comments:

Who's visiting?