Monday, April 14, 2014

John.

You know who's amazing?!  My best friend John.  It's his birthday today & so I wanted to use this platform to celebrate him.

John and I met at an in-person discussion group on campus during our undergrad.  I knew I wanted to be friends with him when he made a reference to the show "7th Heaven" and we laughed about the fact that the family dog's real name was Happy (and Happy as Happy).

Our transition from strangers to friendship was seamless, to the point that I don't remember when/where/how it happened.  The why is obvious.  Everyone who meets John wants to be friends with him.  I was one of the lucky ones who connected with him and vice versa and the rest is history...

John and I joined forces with our bestie Waleed as well and became a powerful trifecta.  Having those boys to roll with when I was in undergrad was the best!  I practically lived with them at one point.  We did everything together, and it was such a fun time!

John is one of the funniest people anybody who knows him knows.  He's also one of the smartest people.  That combination results in wit that you wouldn't believe.  His pop cultural references, quick comebacks, hysterical observations, brilliant slang..... you can barely keep up with it!  He's also incredibly tuned in to current events, speaks numerous languages, and has a generally great understanding of the world we live in.  He is a total marvel, and I am lucky to call him one of my best friends.

It was obvious from early on in our friendship that John loved Finland, where he'd spent a year as an exchange student after high school.  He'd made great friends there, spoke the language fluently, and felt a strong connection to the country.  As a result, it was no surprise to me when he moved there a few years ago to study his Master's and likely live there forever.  It's hard to see your friend go, but it was a foregone conclusion, and I'm happy he's so happy and building a life for himself there.

We may not get to see each other on a regular basis, but we keep in touch as best as we can, and he's still one of my favourite people in the whole world.

Plus, I get to see him in a few months when I travel to Finland!!!  (More on that later).

Now, before the clock strikes midnight in Helsinki, I want to say...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHNNI!!!

I love you so much.  xoxoxo

No comments:

Who's visiting?