Wednesday, November 17, 2010

EM ESS EN


I would guess that the high school experience these days is very often shaped by Facebook. Making plans, spreading gossip, complaining about homework, flirting, etc., etc. I'm so glad my high school experience did not involve Facebook in any way -- it was hard enough surviving the most self-conscious years of my life as it was, never mind what it would've been like trying to find a somewhat decent profile picture.

However, we didn't experience high school in the absence of technology, because there was a mode of communication that, for me at least, did shape my high school years.

MSN

I'm thinking about this because my Gmail chat just cut out for what seemed like 3 minutes, but was probably 1.5. When it happened, I was reminded of what my reaction was when this happened on MSN in grade 11. My anxiety would kick in, I would click click click... restart the computer... the sweat would start pouring... I would think about what the person I was chatting with might think... would they still be online? OMG OMG OMG!!!

Ahhhhh... sweet relief as the little green man spun around and then your friends were displayed once again.

How many serious conversations did you have on MSN? How many transcripts of conversations did you re-read? Did you ever print a conversation out?

I haven't used MSN in ages, but it really did define some pivotal parts of my adolescence.
Food for thought, I guess.

1 comment:

s.mac said...

right on the money with this, girl. staying up until 3 AM talking to your crush felt more like a date than anything else those days. haha oh gosh, this post brought me right back.

Who's visiting?