Monday, September 12, 2011

Niko Niko

I've talked about restaurants in New York and Toronto, but I have yet to post about a resto in my beloved Kitchener-Waterloo.  And it does have restaurants to boast about - the new(ish) Oliver & Bonacini's at Conestoga Mall (try the lamb burger!!!), Wildcraft, Ben Thanh..... but none is worth boasting about more than:

NIKO NIKO!!!

Niko Niko is a cozy, completely unpretentious Japanese restaurant in downtown Kitchener, close to the intersection of King & Queen.  Unfortunately (but not unsurprisingly) it doesn't have a website, but you can take my word for it: it's the best sushi I've ever eaten in my life!!!  I've been to a lot of Japanese restaurants, and plan on going to one in Japan at some point in my life, but what I'm saying is that I've eaten a lot of sushi in my day.  I love sushi, but Niko Niko has taken my standards to a whole new level.  It's not just sushi; it's art.  Each different kind of roll is creative and unique and isn't just some side dish to your bento box.  It is the dish.  Any roll comes with miso soup and salad.  The miso is spot on, and the salad is your typical greens and tomatoes, but their wasabi-infused dressing makes it anything but typical.  I've sampled a number of the rolls, but what I always end up eating is the signature Niko Niko roll, and I usually share a Love Love roll with my bestie, and classic Niko Niko partner, Monica.  She's the one who introduced me to the resto and it almost feels wrong going without her.  I barely ever have.

In fact, I'd estimate that I've spent over $1,000 at Niko Niko over the years..... I wish I was kidding.

So what makes me post about Niko now?  Well, a fire about 6 or so months ago occurred at a store or restaurant near Niko Niko and as a result my beloved resto closed down for nearly 5 months.  Although I don't live in KW anymore, I've been in the city at least 3 times over those 5 months and every time I hope that it's open again... but it never is.

Until this past weekend.  When Monica told me the news, I almost started to cry.  We headed there as soon as we could and were met almost by cheers from the staff.  We learned from them that we weren't the only devastated ones; apparently there's a whole Niko Niko cult.  I'm not surprised to learn that.  As a result of the 5 months of a closed-down Niko, they upgraded their menu, added a few new items (but didn't take any away - thank God!), spruced up the bathrooms, and got a well-deserved face lift.  The place looks great, and I'm frankly thrilled to have my fave resto back!  

So do yourself a favour and check Niko Niko out whenever you're in KW.  You won't regret it.


Next post - I'll weigh in on the last episode ever of "Entourage".


No comments:

Who's visiting?