Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Navel-Gazing & Joni Mitchell

This was written on Sunday, August 26th but I'm just posting it now.

I had a LiveJournal from about 2004 until 2009, maybe.  It was less emotionally-charged than those of some, but it was still rife with drama, cry sessions, and the like.  It was a stage though, and an important one, so I'm not mocking it nor regretting it, but I remember when I started Sugar & Gravy in 2008 that I was deliberately moving away from that stage and entering into something more superficial, and not in a bad way. S&G has always been a great outlet for writing about stuff: movies, restaurants, TV shows, Toronto, music, weird topics that pop into my head, etc.  But even with my deliberate intentions, surely S&G touches my soul, 'cause part of it comes out of me in these lines from time to time.....

Sorry - I'm totally saturated in Joni Mitchell right now and couldn't resist.  What I'm trying to say is twofold: (1) Despite making an effort to have this blog be an outlet for the less introspective of my thought processes, when I read back on old entries, I'm still reminded of all the moments of my journey.  I remember when I started listening to MGMT and how it changed me.  I remember how emotionally invested I was in Naomily of series 3 and 4 of the show "Skins" (and why that may have been...).  I remember the smell of the Olive Oil Dry Mist I "endorsed" in this post and how my bathroom and all my towels used to smell like it in my old basement apartment in Waterloo.  So despite this not being written like a traditional journal or diary, it still brings me back to the moments when I wrote the entries in a very real way.  Then again, that doesn't mean that you - the reader - feel the emotional side of things.

That brings me to (2): perhaps it's worthwhile sometimes to let this be an introspective outlet; not in a forced way, but I shouldn't shy away from it just because that's now how I established it.  I have a physical, tangible, pen and paper journal still, but sometimes typing it all out is good, too.  I am not moving the intention of this blog from superficial to navel-gazing, but today - with all of this Joni Mitchell-listening - I'm inspired, and so I felt like trying something different.

Or at least talking about trying something different.  Now that it's Tuesday, August 28th, I'm not feeling the urge to introspect like I was on Sunday, so I won't force it, but if you read some different posts on S&G in the near future, this is why.....


And now I leave you with some raw, beautiful Joni Mitchell singing one of my favourite songs live.  Sing it, Joni, you beautiful creature.

No comments:

Who's visiting?