Friday, February 5, 2010

Old vs. New

I saw an ad on campus today for a summer sublet. I've got a place for the summer, so that's not what interested me. What did interest me was a statement on the poster that was along the lines of "Only 4 years old".

It reminded me of something I've thought about a few times over the past couple of years - old vs. new houses. There are a lot of people, I find, that are really obsessed with the idea of their house or apartment being new. New is associated with clean, safe, sanitary, and quality. Old, on the other hand, is associated with dirty, unsafe, unhealthy, and deterioration.

I'm not chirping the people who are into new places. I mean, I understand the draw, I really do. However, as someone who grew up in a beautiful home in residential Toronto that has been around for 50+ years, I just cannot relate. I think old houses equal character, personality, and sturdiness. With apartment complexes going up in weeks, I just don't understand how new places are safer. Sure, old places require a lot of work to maintain, but so does any place, I think! Plus, if they've hung around for so many years, who's to say they won't hang around for a lot longer?

Moral of the story? When I am in a position to buy a house, I'll be looking for something old.

No comments:

Who's visiting?