Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reading Challenge Update

Did I mention I moved? Yes, I moved towns and (obviously) am in a new apartment. My desk and computer are now in a different room than my bed, which I love. I didn't get wireless Internet (yet) so my computer stays put, which means... I'm not falling asleep with my computer in bed with me anymore. I love that! It helps with my whole mission to read before bed (and not compute).

Anyway
... that is a long-winded way of saying the reading challenge is going well. EXCEPT that once again I've got 3 books on the go.
  1. Smart Women Finish Rich by David Bach - I started my first real job so my GF got me this book to get me started right with saving and all that. I'm 50 pages in and loving it!
  2. The School on the Hill: Trinity College School 1865-1965 by A.H. Humble & J.D. Burns
  3. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank - I've always meant to read this, but never have. I'm enjoying it, but I haven't gotten too far in yet. It'll probably be the last of the 3 I finish, but I'm really looking forward to getting into it.
That reminds me - still no fiction. How strange! I need to make myself read some fiction after these 3.

Freakonomics was great, btw. The Stephen/Steven writing team did a great job articulating some really crazy (but reasonable) ideas. It really shows a side of economics that most people don't associate with the field, which is what makes Steven Levitt such a neat, smart guy. That said, it's a tricky art/science. It's really all about incentives and numbers and estimates and assumptions and not a lot about heart or miracles or... well, outliers, actually. What I mean is, some of the assumptions made seem a bit over the top, and even racist. So, you've gotta take what they say with a grain of salt. It's about economics, so you've gotta look at things a little differently.

SO... of the 8 book total I challenged myself to read, I've got:
  1. The Outsider
  2. John
  3. Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs
  4. Outliers
  5. Freakonomics

No comments:

Who's visiting?