Monday, June 28, 2010

Book Update


Out of the 501 books they tell me I must read, I think I've read about 15. Pathetic, right? Well, maybe not. I have some friends who've probably read none of them. That's not the point though. I've got the rest of my life to read and I want to pick up the pace, and perhaps use this book as a guide...

That said, of the 501, there are a whole bunch I'm totally not interested in, so I need some suggestions. What are your favourites?

I finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Did I mention that? I know I said I was reading it... Anyway, I finished it, meaning I've read 4 books so far this summer. 3 of them non-fiction, surprisingly enough. I used to be a die-hard fiction reader. Maybe it has come with age.

Outliers was quite good. Gladwell is a great writer with awesome subject material and some great ideas and theories. If you read it, look out for the part about summer vacation. That portion of the book has really stuck with me. Like all Gladwell books, it's a bit simplistic at times, but that's also his charm. He feeds it to you easy. Kinda like the Michael Moore of literature... or maybe not. Malcolm probably wouldn't like that. Anyway, fabulous book! I want to read The Tipping Point next.

Now I'm on to my 5th summer book: Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner. It's basically a book that applies economics to everyday puzzles, explaining why and how people do the things they do. There's a strong focus on the incentives that drive people. Very cool stuff. I'm on chapter 1 and very much enjoying it. My boss has been telling me to read it for years, so I'm glad I'm finally getting to it.

No comments:

Who's visiting?