Sunday, June 13, 2010

T C B

First of all - talk about a thrill! Today I get a direct message from @alexandluke (remember them?) telling me that I've won their most recent draw, meaning I get to choose their next destination. I had to choose between Tennessee, Virginia, or Missouri. I chose Tennessee - purely on the basis that it has 3 sets of double letters in it. Why not?

Update on the Reading Challenge: With 2 bus trips of 1.5 hours each this weekend, I got to work on finishing some books, and I did! I finished Cynthia Lennon's bio of John Lennon, entitled John, AND Sex Drugs & Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman. A short word on each...

John: Beautiful. Captivating. Upsetting. A tribute. The book sent me in a million different directions throughout. I mentioned before that John seemed to be much more loving with Cynthia than I would've first thought, and he was, but once I got to the divorce... Good God! It was hard to see my hero acting in the way that he did. Anyway, I won't get into a lot of details about it, but it was a great read! Cynthia wrote beautifully and honestly. I think for all of us die-hard Lennon fans, it's a necessary read. He's human, after all.

Sex Drugs & Cocoa Puffs: Oh Chuck Klosterman - you are a pretentious dork, but I love you anyway. A lot of his essays went over my head (I think because I was born in '87), but so many of them rung true to me, and often made me laugh hysterically. In many ways, Chuck is the male version of what I would aspire to be if I didn't have more than one passion. Anyway, I certainly plan on reading more of his stuff, that's for sure!

Now I've gotta finish Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers. It's a great book, but seems a bit more sophisticated after what I just got through with. I'll get back there though. And, what happened to my love for fiction? I've gotta get back to that, too!

1 comment:

Leah said...

I love Klosterman's list of questions..I use them in every road trip/social situation where I don't know people and feel awkward and feel the need to inspire conversation. So interesting!

-Leah

Who's visiting?