Sunday, January 5, 2014

Gettin' Fit

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  I just can't believe that another year has come and gone... 2014!!!  I can't wait to see what the year will bring.  One of my resolutions is to update Sugar & Gravy more often.  This can be such a fun creative outlet, and I want to bring a little more of that back into my life.

You know what I'm not making a resolution this year?  Eating healthy / getting fit / losing weight.  Why is that?  Because I'm already doing it.  Unbeknownst to you (contrary to popular belief, I don't write everything about my life in this blog), I have been adopting a very healthy lifestyle over the past while.  In fact, today marks exactly six months since my girlfriend K. and I decided to eat healthier, join a gym, and generally become more health-conscious.  Since that fateful day in July 2013, I have lost approximately 35 lbs and made working out a genuine part of my routine.  I have gotten stronger, fitter, and gone down about two dress sizes.  Most importantly, I've gotten to the point where working out is almost as natural and necessary as brushing my teeth.  It feels incredible!

I've heard many times that exercise is THE way to keep you mentally healthy (in addition to all of the physical benefits).  And you know what?  I get it.  I have a lot going on right now in my life (all positive, and more on that another time soon), and so I've been wont to get overwhelmed.  Today I'm also feeling outrageously hormonal, and as a result I found myself totally lethargic, bummed out, and emotional this afternoon.  BUT K. and I had put a workout in our schedules this evening, so I fought my instinct to stretch out on the couch and watch "The O.C.", and instead walked through the snow to the gym.  Around 30 minutes later I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.  I was sweaty and panting, yet I felt like I could run to the top of a mountain and sing!  It probably sounds cheesy and over the top, but that's genuinely how I feel right now. 

It makes me wonder... why did I wait so long to make this part of my life?  Who cares?!  It is, and that's what's important.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Brava! And You Go Girl!

Werrrrk.

Who's visiting?