Sunday, January 12, 2014

Hobbies

A thought occurred to me tonight as I sat in the Four Seasons Centre watching the working rehearsal of Cosi fan tutte: I need a hobby. I'm a busy person, but at this point it's usually work + gym + hanging out + watching TV. If someone asked, "What are you interested in?" I'm not sure what I'd say. I might say "music", but aside from listening to it, how do I take an interest in it? I like "opera", but that interest doesn't go far beyond seeing the occasional performance or listening to my girlfriend K. sing or talk about it. And when I watch TV and movies, it's often just re-watching shows and movies I've already seen before.

So here's one of my resolutions for 2014: actively cultivate interests and hobbies. If I like reading, I ought to read. If I'm so interested in opera, I'm going to listen to it regularly and read about if and form opinions on it. This may sound forced, but maybe I need to put some effort into cultivating interests to begin with. It's easy to marathon "The O.C." on DVD, but it's more difficult to decide to watch a new documentary every week.

Whatever I want to dive into, I'd like to do it wholeheartedly.

Watch out, world!

No comments:

Who's visiting?