Friday, January 24, 2014

W5H: Waterloo

Guess what?  I live in Waterloo now.  I have alluded to that a few times already, but I want to give you the skinny, so here goes...

I went to university in Waterloo and lived in the city for 5 years from September 2005 to June 2010.  Then I moved to Port Hope to start a job after graduation, and lived there for two years.  Then I stayed in that job but worked out an amazing deal where I was able to work from home 3 days/week and commute to Port Hope for the other 2.  So I lived in Toronto from July 2012-January 2014.

Then, late last year, an incredible job at my alma mater came up, and so I applied for it.  I had no intention of leaving my last job, but the right opportunity came up, and after 3.5 years of service to the school I was working at before, I felt pretty comfortable moving on to something new.  Lucky for me, I got the job!  So, I spent the 2.5 weeks after the Christmas holidays wrapping up my work at my previous job; writing a transition report for my successor, and coordinating the biggest event that I worked on annually - an alumni shinny (hockey) tournament.  It was probably the craziest and busiest time of my working life to date, but I finished off really strong and the event was a great success!  I finished work at 8:30 pm on Saturday, January 18th and then started my new job 36 hours later... I know, I'm crazy.

So now I'm just wrapping up my first week at my new job in Waterloo!  Right now I'm crashing with my bestie and her fiance - so generous of them! - but starting February 1st I'll have my own place here!  I'm in Toronto on the weekends visiting K. and wrapping things up at our apartment there, which we have until the end of February.  K. will live there for that month, and then on February 22 we'll do the full move of furniture, etc. from that apartment to the new apartment in Waterloo.  I love setting up a new apartment; I'm so excited!!!

Work is off to a great start.  The first week has flown by, which says a lot because sometimes a new job means a few weeks of boredom before you really get into your work.  Not the case here!  They had me set up so I could hit the ground running, which has been amazing.  It'll be a few weeks of quiet research at my desk, but starting in early February I'll be hitting the road and getting the real work done.  I can't wait!

More on life in Waterloo soon, but now you know that I'm here in Waterloo (who/where), that I'm here for a new job (what/why), that I'm here now but will have my place as of Feb 1 and be fully moved in by Feb 22 (when), and how...

Until next time!

Posts to come... Why I like living in Waterloo right now & how I love the "7 Up" documentary series

No comments:

Who's visiting?